More than two centuries of educating the visually impaired have placed the Royal School for the Blind, Liverpool as one of the leading schools of its kind in the world. The school was founded in 1791 by Edward Rushton and was the first such school in Britain, second only to Paris in the world.
It is a non-maintained special school and a totally independent charity catering for the needs of pupils aged between two and nineteen with a visual impairment and additional disabilities, including multi-sensory impairment. In more than 200 years the school has seen many changes both in education and its physical appearance – an extensive ongoing improvement and refurbishment programme is progressively transforming the structure and facilities to the most modern standards.
That aside, the school remains unshakable in its resolve to educate its pupils to their full potential whilst consolidating its own role as a centre of excellence.